8 Tips to Keep your Rain Gutters in Ship Shape
April showers may have brought more than just May flowers. High winds likely deposited leaves, sticks, and other debris into your gutters. Most people don’t think about rain gutters until they stop doing their job. Clogged gutters can cause runoff issues that can damage the integrity of your home, so it’s important to take care of them before they start to cause any problems.
Here are 8 tips to clean and maintain your rain gutters!
- Protect yourself by wearing gloves, a dust mask, and safety goggles to keep from damaging your eyes, skin, and lungs.
- Use a fully-stabilized ladder that is well footed, and never carry heavy tools or equipment up the ladder.
- Lay a large tarp on the ground to drop any debris. You can easily drag this around to different sections of your home, and it will make cleanup a breeze.
- Once all debris is removed, use a high-pressure water hose nozzle to remove any buildup, and scrub gently with a soft brush or sponge.
- Run water through the gutters to check for drips and slow flow issues. If you notice any leaks or issues at gutter seams, make sure that you caulk accordingly.
- Once your gutters are clean, make sure that you keep an eye out for any leaks or drips when it’s raining. Use a china marker to note the areas that need patching so that you can take care of them once they are dry.
- To maintain proper flow, gutters should descend ¼ of an inch along every ten feet. Over time, the angle of your gutters can shift, so make sure that you adjust the gutters so that water flows consistently.
- Follow gutter downspouts to make sure that rainwater is deposited in an area where it is not collecting near your home’s foundation. The water from your downspout should be directed at least 5 feet away from your home’s foundation. It’s best to have the water disperse itself onto a hard surface such as a concrete driveway to keep it from pooling on the ground.
While you should quick clean your gutters seasonally, you should also perform a thorough gutter deep clean at least once a year to keep things running smoothly.
It is important to keep your gutters clean, but don’t sacrifice safety to do so. If you aren’t able to safely reach your gutters, or you don’t feel comfortable on a ladder, there are plenty of awesome professional services in the Logan area. Ask friends and family for recommendations or check out your favorite online review site for ratings.
. buy apa research paper